It is what it is

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Band of Tafts

Has anyone been to the Logan Square Auditorium before? It's really cool! Joe, Kevin, Linda and I all went to see Dan Deacon and Matt & Kim play last night. It's like an old school building or something - think LT North but never rehabbed. It's all wood and creaky and thoroughly neat. The room itself is like an old-fashioned ballroom with a balcony at the back. You could feel the old floor heave as people danced.

As I pulled up to the joint I saw Dan Deacon getting out of a taxicab, and I creepily said 'Hi Dan Deacon' and he looked over at me like, 'Oh, hey' seeming kind of freaked out. When Joe and Kevin and I were all at the T Shirt booth after the show he came up and we were all congratulating him on a great show, and I apologized for creeping him out before and he was like 'You were the guy on the bike...sorry I was out of sorts, I've been on tour forever.'

So that was a kind of cool moment for me.

The guy that opened for DD was this douche who kept screaming about how cool high school was and making everyone divide into cheerleaders and drill team and cheer against each other. The only good part of that was when a bunch of hipsters made a human pyramid that collapsed on itself.

Dan Deacon was a spastic ball of magic, like usual. I've never seen him at night before - the show was more drunk, more moshy, more darkly energetic. He repeatedly apologized for being on tour for so long and seemed a little discombobulated, and later told me at the T Shirt line that he canceled his next two shows. Kevin got close to him and said he smelled like a zoo.

I felt kind of old during the show in that I hated people crowd surfing and wanted (but didn't) to vindictively rip them down and throw them on the floor. All I kept thinking was that these selfish assholes want ME to carry their asses? Fuck them - I came here to see music, not carry some douche hipsters like they're some kind of royal in a sedan chair.

Matt & Kim are the creepy couple that play emo music and seem to genuinely like each other. They smiled like cult members on soma throughout the show, which was disconcerting to me. The crowd was young throughout the show, despite the fact that beer was served, and they must have all been there to see Matt & Kim. It was young, happy, dancing people singing along to the songs while nihilistic, drunk and sweaty Joe, Kevin, Linda and I sat in the back and watched wondering what all the kids were on.

It was a good show.

I want to go see Justice at Metro next - here's a little sample:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will, a hipster pyramid is supposed to collapse on itself. They're too cool to continue trying for more than 2.5 seconds. You're so hipster for even blogging about hipster pyramids. Hipster.

Joey Mac said...

Sounds like a cool show, Dan Deacon's music is not my cup of tea, but I like the in the crowd performance and green skull thing (Joe D showed me a camera video). I too hate feeling old at concerts. I try picking out 18 and 21 and over shows, but unfortunately a lot of good bands only play all ages shows in Chicago. I guess we are old.

the homunculus said...

the hipster pyramid should be included in the hipster olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM

Anonymous said...

listen to old man tommy. as if we didn't know about the hipster olympics months ago. oh tommy. you're so out of touch.

the homunculus said...

shutup ruby. if you look this good when you're my age... wait, that's impossible.

the homunculus said...

plus, being out of touch is the new being up to date. Get with it. I mean don't.

Archival Ennui